From Diabetes to Duathlon » My personal story

Masthead header

Portsmouth Duathlon Race 1…… 7 minutes faster :-)

1st Duathlon of the year today and as expected I loved it but also learned a few lessons too. Firstly we forgot the cameras haha bloody good photographers I know ! secondly I forgot my Gabba jacket for the bike part and thirdly I forgot how to use my Garmin 200 which is the computer I use during transition races but other than that all good hahaha…..

We rocked up at about 7:40 and straight away I realised it was going to be a windy and chilly one, we had a few spots of rain or was it sleet? certainly felt cold enough on the sea front today but after finding my spot in transition and setting up my bike I grabbed a coffee with sue and caught up with a few mates.

The first 5k run went well, I enjoyed it a lot and got quite a few shout outs including my mate who won the race Neil Collins who is a GBR runner and awesome athlete and you probably remember me saying last year he is a bloody nice bloke too and despite leading a tough race always has time to cheer on his mates. anyway the run was great and I managed 8 minute miles which i was delighted with bearing in mind zero and I mean zero run training.

I ran into transition for a reasonably quick shoe change and onto the bike, bugger all else to do coz I had no jacket haha but straight into the wind for 3 miles which was tough but thanks to my tri friend Angela’s advice at the last Duathlon I went straight into the drops and stayed there. I got to the turning point averaging a disappointing 19.3mph but it was mega windy and by the time I passed Sue at the start I was averaging 20.5mph so happier. A couple laps around the common made up the almost 10 mile route and I finished with a very pleasing 20.8mph and trust me that was great considering the wind and pretty good run too.

The next transition was a tad slower by 10 seconds but still good considering the shoe change which is easier bike on than off. Anyway the second run was a slow start, I actually thought my legs were dead but after a few moments I managed to pick up the pace despite the headwind and managed to keep an average of 8:30 minute miles which I was expecting for both so very happy.

Through the finish tunnel to rapturous applause and I collected my beautiful medal and goodie bag with yet another bottle of Believe and Achieve beer 🙂 my pal Rob sure does know how to put on a good race.

Great to see alley buddies this morning and sorry about the lack of photos but there are a couple from the iPhone 🙂

I managed to shave 7 minutes off of last year and the 2 stats are below and I am chuffed with that again considering the conditions.